More and more people are living in smaller housing and apartments than ever before, and that number is not likely to decrease. What does that mean for want-to-be pet owners? Well, in simple terms, you have the choice between a small pet or no pet at all. Of course, you can still have a large pet such as a dog, but they are a lot more difficult to look after while you are in a small home. So, what are the best small pets to own for beginners?
Here is a list of some of the smaller pets that you may want to consider while looking for that new companion:
- Birds. – You will still need to consider which breed you choose, as some will live a very long time, and are a huge commitment.
- Crustaceans. – Crabs, shrimps, and lobsters do not take a lot of space up, but they will require controlled environments.
- Fish. – Depending on the species of fish you chose, you may need a more complex setup. Goldfish are the easiest to keep.
- Rabbits. – You need to have an outdoor area for rabbits to use as a run.
- Reptiles. – Reptiles need heating and special lighting but can stay in a vivarium and be let out into the house.
- Rodents. – Rats, mice, and other rodents are pretty easy to keep, providing you give them a big enough home with places to hide and explore.
- Spiders. – Not everyone’s choice, but they do not require a lot of space.